By Condo Culture
The city of Kitchener is a wonderful city to reside and work in, and it’s not surprising that more than 10,000 people, on average, are moving to the Kitchener - Waterloo Region on an annual basis, and that’s expected to continue for decades to come.
You may be wondering what it’s like to live in a Kitchener condo, so we wanted to highlight the top ten things about the Kitchener condo lifestyle. If you currently own one and would like to know its current market value, then get a free condo evaluation as you will receive a personalized video that outlines what it could potentially sell for and why that’s the case.
1. Live the good life - Kitchener has a laid-back type of vibe to it and many of the city’s residents are friendly and welcoming. There are numerous parks, trails, and attractions to visit in the area such as Victoria Park in downtown Kitchener where residents enjoy getting out to connect with the local community and have some fun along the way. Many of the condos in Kitchener are located in urban areas, and it works out perfectly for people in those buildings since there’s a saturation of quality restaurants, shops, outdoor and indoor activities, and so much more.
2. The price is right - The affordability of condos in Kitchener is quite attractive, and it has enticed people to move here from Toronto and the GTA, and from many parts of Canada and the U.S. On average, a Kitchener condo is 60% less expensive than a condo located in the city of Toronto, so your money goes quite far here, and Toronto is only an hour or so away should you want to visit Canada’s largest city.
3. The condo amenities are fantastic - Kitchener condos have traditionally had quality amenities, but they just keep getting better and better over time as developers really want to provide incredible lifestyles to their residents without having to leave their properties. Indoor and outdoor pools, fitness facilities, media rooms, billiards, ping pong tables, rooftop BBQs and tables to eat at, putting greens, bowling alleys, dog runs, and lots of other amenity offerings are attracting people by the thousands.
*Pictured above - The future site of Q Condos in downtown Kitchener. *
4. Lots of new condominiums are being built - This year in 2022, over 2,000 brand new pre-construction condo units will be sold. All sorts of developers and builders are making significant investments in the Kitchener area since the demand for new homes is so strong. This year will see Q Condos, Moda, The Jake, Station Park (Tower 3 and Tower 4), Six Sixty, The Birches, and a few other condo and townhome buildings launch in Kitchener - Waterloo, as well. Buying a pre-construction condo offers good value compared to most resale properties, you get to decide which floorplan suits your lifestyle the best, and can choose from several interior design options to really customize your future home or investment unit. To stay updated on pre-construction opportunities, exclusive assignment listings, plus more, subscribe to One List.
5. Local transit is great - Many of the Kitchener condo developments have the LRT and bus routes very close by, so getting around the Waterloo Region is quick and easy. Plus, getting to and from Toronto, London, Windsor, Niagara Falls, and other towns and cities around South Western Ontario is conveniently done via the downtown Kitchener VIA Rail station and Go Transit hub. The city is very centrally located, and it’s really quite amazing what world-class attractions you can get to in 90 minutes or less.
6. Exciting teams - The city is home to the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League along with the KW Titans who are part of the National Basketball League of Canada. Plus there are many local amateur sports leagues to either play in or watch, so if you enjoy sports, there are opportunities to be involved in them one way or another.
7. Huge tech hub - The Waterloo Region has one of the fastest-growing tech hubs in the world and has the second-highest startup density on planet Earth after Silicon Valley in California. Google Canada calls Kitchener home, plus there are lots of other elite tech companies downtown including D2L, Vidyard, ApplyBoard, and many others. If you work in tech, then living in a Kitchener condo in the downtown Innovation District and being part of a local startup or a more mature corporation would be an ideal fit for you. Tech gets a lot of attention in the region and for good reason, but there are also other strong sectors including financial, insurance, manufacturing, construction, and others that are booming also.
8. Strong post-secondary institutions - There are more than 70,000 post-secondary students based in the area. Some of Canada’s top universities are located here including The University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University - attracting talented students from all over the world. A good number of these young people reside in local condo communities, and continue living in them when starting their careers.
9. Peaceful and safe - Crime in Kitchener is fairly low for the most part, so you can feel safe in the condo’s urban areas and elsewhere no matter which day and time you may be out. This goes back to the earlier mention that people in the area are quite friendly, and you really get a sense of community when on the streets, in restaurants, shopping in stores, strolling in parks, and elsewhere. Lots of people are happy and proud to call Kitchener their home and it shows when you’re around strangers in public settings to receive encouraging smiles and friendly hellos.
10. Fun festivals and events - Kitchener - Waterloo is home to Canada’s Greatest Bavarian Festival and the second-largest Oktoberfest in the world. Thousands of people flock to the area in the Fall to celebrate and have a good time, and upwards of 150,000 attend the annual Oktoberfest parade. There are also many other Kitchener festivals throughout the year including Ribfest, the DTK Patio Crawl, the Blues Festival, and many others.
Here’s what some of our Condo Culture team members enjoy best about living in Kitchener - Waterloo.
There really is so much to experience and take in when you live in a Kitchener condo, and surely the best has yet to come as the population continues to soar, and more businesses and community pockets emerge.
If you have been thinking about making a move to Kitchener - Waterloo or already live here, we can help you with your condo selling, buying, leasing, or investing needs. We are the area’s premier condo brokerage and help to turn lofty dreams into exciting realities. Reach out to us with your condo goals, give us a call at 226-773-4505, or drop by our Condo Culture Waterloo office at 191 King Street South, just below the Bauer Lofts, to have a conversation with our friendly and insightful team.